What else does the Church offer?The Mission - Church Hall
The old Woolston school building, used for many years as a Mission church and consequently known to everyone as "The Mission", is now used by members of the community aged from three to ninety three. Groups meeting regularly include a pre-school playgroup, a youth club for teenagers, a WRVS affiliated over-sixties club, a local slimming club, the Woolston ladies' group and the local branch of the WI. The Mission was built in 1884 but thanks to a lot of hard work on behalf of the local community and the generosity of various funders, in 2003 enough money was raised to finance a scheme of major renovation and refurbishment and this should ensure that the Mission remains a valued and valuable community resource, enjoyed by all its users.
The Mission Hall
The Woolston Eyes is a Site of Special Scientific Interest, made up of four deposit beds situated between the Manchester Ship Canal and the River Mersey and used for the disposal of dredgings from the canal. The site is home to a wide variety of flora and fauna and is managed by the Woolston Eyes Conservation Group. It is also the title of the church magazine. Ten issues are published each year and these are distributed free to households in the parish.
Article from the magazine
Woolston C of E Primary School.
The school was opened in 1972 and is attended by around 240 children. The school maintains close links with the church, the vicar visiting the school each week to hold assemblies. Many of the children in year 6 go on to confirmation. Special end-of-term Eucharists are held to which parents and parishioners are invited and the school choir sings at the annual Carol Service. Children from the school made an altar frontal and one for the lectern which are used at school and occasional special services.
Previous Page Home Page Special Occasions